Wrap It Up says God Bless all the men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces on this Memorial Day.
- After 10 years, the new judges seemed to ignite some sparks of interst in "American Idol" as the finale gained viewers as the night rolled on. It averaged 29.2 million. Not bad at all. Meanwhile, the official last Oprah show did real well with 16-18 million but was sidetracked in many markets due to
1. "Hangover 2" - $86 million/total $118
million - - after today, $135 million...UPDATE...OVER FOUR DAYS, $103
2. "Kung Fu Panda 2" - $48 million/total $53.8 million
3. "Pirates" - $39 million
Source: Box Offce Mojo
Notes: I have to admit people like a hangover. A whopping holiday weekend for this comedy. The midnight showings and first day gross showed real promise for the second installment in what could be a franchise of its own. I had to take a second look at the budget for "Kung Fu Panda 2." This was the first of three items that jumped out at me on the list. A huge $150 million budget for that? Holy cow, why? Another item is the Woody Allen movie. Last week, I noted the impressive per theater average for "Midnight In Paris," and this week I will again.It expanded and netted $33,000 per theater. And "Tree of Life" grabbed a staggering $93,000 per screen. Oh, back to "The Hangover 2" as it established a comedy record for any weekend.
- Yes, even in the back seats, if they get their way. Illinois lawmakers may
pass a law that says we must buckle up in the back. Why not just put us all in car seats?
- "Cougar Town" will change its name. And it should.
* * *
Could these superbug breakouts be an act of terrorism...food poisoning,
MORE COMING: Blue Angels return to air for Quad City show; she just
graduated from NIU a few weeks back and now she's dead - - Aeyanuna Rogers, 22, was shot in the head in Chicago; Nick Sheley trial delayed - - again (to August); Joshua Messenger arrested in Casey's May 22 robbery (note: he was with drowning victim Eric Denning...); Dirt from car of Amy Fry-Pitzen indicative of Sauk Valley area; Martin Scorsese to do film about Elizabeth Taylor/Richard Burton (he is also doing a Sinatra pic)...Wow, shocker for viewers who see Simon Cowell...