weekend at the Quad City Airshow. Meanwhile, many showed up in Naperville, Illinois, to get a shot in being in "Superman: Man of Steel." A cool thing the executives are doing for this film is they are having a Plano residents only casting call on June 22. That Illinois town will be the setting for Smallville.
1. "Green Lantern" - $52.6 million
2. "Super 8"
- $21.2 million
3. "Mr. Popper's Penguins" - $18.2 million
Source: Box Office Mojo
Notes: It was "Green" at the turnstiles this weekend as the
"Lantern" takes the top spot. Wow, sometimes headline writing like that deserve a slice of cheese with it. But this movie has Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively, who's star is starting to take off. Now, the bad news. Sure, it was over $50 million but it feels like superhero fatigue may be setting in. It is for me. The studio expected much more since it was on 7,200 screens and a little over 3,800 theaters. And then throw in those 3D screens. OK, let's not and just move on. I asked my Dad if he wanted to go see "Mr. Popper's Penguins" and he told me to "Shut up" the U.S. Open is on. I feel I was not alone in that. As for "Super 8" another miracle movie this year, along with "Bridemaids." They keep doing
business. We will get an even better picture after the third week for "8" but it only fell 40 percent in the second week and finished second. To me, that is the story of the weekend. By the way, do you really care about who is doing the voices for these animated flicks? Save some money and let other actors get those parts, for crying out loud.
- By the way, the feds are requested the state of Iowa (my neighbors) to provide $20 million is subsidies for a "high speed rail" line that is to connect to Chicago. The "high speed" part is a train that chugs along on average, 45 mph.
- Travel and Leisure has noted New Orleans as the nation's dirtiest city and Salt Lake City as the cleanest. Not sure it if it the saltiest.
- Daytime Emmy Awards handed out at night. Will the soaps
- Hey, there are still going to be specials of "America's Most Wanted."
- How can you tell if you are watching a rerun of "Wipeout"?
Actually, do we care?
So, media folk, stop the lectures...they aren't going to listen to you anyway. Now, get mad...83% of GOP Voters Intend to Vote Republican No Matter Who's The
Attn: Drew Peterson. Thank Rob Lowe forsaying yes.
6.19.11 - BREAKING OSCAR
NEWS: Maybe not 10 noms after all....: Academy Builds Surprise Into Best Picture Rules Story on Tim's Oscar Blog