- Nor'easters will be more frequent bringing the snowiest winter in 3 years with 35% more snow than last year and much above average. (see snowfall trends map).
- Temperatures across the Eastern U.S. will trend 3-6 degrees colder than last winter making it the coldest winter in 3 years with below average temperatures. (see winter temperature map).
- Major widespread cold snaps are likely in middle December, middle January and early February.
- The West will trend the warmest in 4 to 8 years but snow and rain still likely to make headlines in the Pacific Northwest with twice as much snow as last year.
- Parts of California are likely to have the wettest conditions in 9 years bringing the threat for at least one major flooding/mud slide event this winter.
- Southwest may escape winter's wrath with the warmest conditions in 8 years and 31% below average snowfall.
- A drought may begin to develop in the Southeast by late winter.
- Major freeze possible in Florida late January and early February.
- Winter seasonal merchandise sales will experience the best winter in 3 years with sales up 20% to 100% in the Eastern U.S. with snow accessories up 250% or more. However, overall retail sales and store traffic will be severely hampered.
- Home heating bills will be up 15% to 30% in the East but down as much in the West further eating into consumers' discretionary spending going into 2014.
The global leader of actionable year-ahead business weather guidance for retailers, manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies, agricultural firms, financial analysts and now consumers worldwide. Clients include some of the world's most respected and successful companies like Wal-Mart, Target, AutoZone, Anheuser-Busch, Johnson & Johnson, Coca-Cola, 3M, JP Morgan and over a hundred others. Its business-centric weather solutions and understanding of how consumers respond to the weather is used throughout organizations to help "manage the weather risk". Weather Trends' unique statistical math-based trade secret formula forecasting methodology projects temperature, precipitation and snowfall trends by day and week a year-ahead for 6.4 million locations in all 195 countries with industry leading 85%+ accuracy. WTI is recipient of 12 technology awards including #5 on Forbes Magazine's list as America's Most Promising Company. Offices in Bethlehem, PA and Bentonville, AR.
SOURCE Weather Trends International