9.25.11 - Come Monday will be the start of an ongoing and recurring nightmare for many of us here in the Rock River Valley. One Nick Sheley is to appear in court for the killing of four in Rock Falls (a few blocks from where I report from) and one in Sterling, where I work.
For those really close to the situation, I want to apologize at the outset for what will transpire in the press. It will not be pretty and we will be a reminded of the brutal events during those days. But, it does need to be covered. It all depends on how and the details. I will never put his picture on my site. That is what he wants. I will, however, recap the events of the day, sad as they are.
HERE ARE A FEW DETAILS:
- As of now, Sheley has no attorney.
- Attorney Jeremy Karlin, who was used in Knox County, has indicated that he would represent him if asked.
- Some material from the Knox County trial will be used.
- Here, in Whiteside County, he will be tried on 25 counts of first degree murder. Other charges are in there as well.
- According to Prosecutors: clothing Sheley wore when he killed Ronald Randall may be used. It was found in the Rock Falls apartment. DNA was found on a cigarette butt in Russell Reed's kitchen.
- Missouri has the death penalty. I have not been told whether they will seek it in that case. Jury members in this trial are being told that information, and thus, it may have an impact, even though we could never prove that.
- Much more security, that will be paid by us, will be used to get this criminal to and from the court in Morrison.
- They didn't want him in shackles in Galesburg as it might influence the jury.