Go ahead and ask yourself why the need to get these nominations out the day after the Golden Globe noms. After all, the SAG Awards will not be handed out until April 5. As usually happens in Hollywood, one award event announces something, then another one does. It is almost like they do not want one event to have the spotlight for long.
The Oscars will not be awarded until April 25, but their nominations are not until March 15, allowing just over a month of publicity before the show. With the SAG Awards, they will be awarded April 4, so roughly two months go by between nominations and the awarding of the trophies.
- - -
27th SAG Awards Nominations Fast Facts
SAG Awards Nominee Histories
- - -
- If you are new to these, it is not some conspiracy or virtual signaling that they do not use the word actress. That has been around since the inception of the SAG Awards. To get an idea, About the "I Am an Actor™" Stories.
- Here is an example - Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role - SAG Awards Categories.
- Believe it or not, this is one of the lowest TV rated award shows, despite being on both TNT and TBS each year. Low rated even without a pandemic cloud hanging overhead.
- Does group-think really take over Hollywood during award season? That is why the snub story emerges, perhaps. I used to do them, but with so much product, that is not needed anymore. Of course, many will be overlooked. And because everyone does those stories now, I back off. I hate the idea of being involved in group-think. Sometimes that is unavoidable, but where I can, I will pass.
- And my stories over the years never fawned over fashion and the like. Nor did it praise every single movie or person nominated. Note it is a business and award season is a PR campaign. Sometimes it does not make sense and this is insider politics, too.
- It is nice that they have a stunt category.
- Netflix in a deja vu move, rules once more with 13 in movies and 17 in TV.
- "Ma Rainy's Black Bottom" leads movie with three; "The Crown" and Schitt's Creek" lead TV with five each.
- 23 are first-time nominees.
- There does seem to be a pattern developing. But there are some in here that the Globes did not have. That is a good thing. When each award event mirrors the other, it can become tedious. But note, the Globes have a music/comedy and drama category for film. Meanwhile, the Oscars can have up to 10 in the Best Picture category. So, take these five below and then add a few more to round it out.
- "Hamilton" is not eligible for Oscars but was here and yet did not get it for ensemble. But again, remember that the SAG Awards honor ensemble, which gives its award to the cast. The Oscars do not always go the same way.
- - -
So, I want you to know that I cover awards slightly different than the cookie-cutter way others do. I do it in my style, so welcome back if you have followed me in the past. Or welcome aboard if you are new here. See Oscar Gallery for the past...I have covered award season for years live in Hollywood, as well, ...pandemic has killed that for now.
- - -
Outstanding Cast in a Motion Picture
“Da 5 Bloods”
“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”
“One Night In Miami”
“Trial of the Chicago 7”
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role in a Motion Picture
Riz Ahmed, “Sound of Metal”
Chadwick Boseman, “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”
Anthony Hopkins, “The Father”
Gary Oldman, “Mank”
Steven Yeun, “Minari”
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role in a Motion Picture
Amy Adams, “Hillbilly Elegy”
Viola Davis, “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”
Vanessa Kirby, “Pieces of a Woman”
Frances McDormand , “Nomadland”
Carey Mulligan, “Promising Young Woman”
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Sacha Baron Cohen, “The Trial of the Chicago 7
Chadwick Boseman, “Da 5 Bloods”
Daniel Kaluuya, “Judas and the Black Messiah”
Jared Leto, “The Little Things”
Leslie Odom, Jr., “One Night in Miami”
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Maria Bakalova, “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm”
Glenn Close, “Hillbilly Elegy”
Olivia Colman, “The Father”
Youn Yuh-Jung, “Minari”
Helena Zengel, “News of the World”
Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series
“Dead to Me”
“The Flight Attendant”
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series
Nicholas Hoult, “The Great”
Dan Levy, “Schitt’s Creek”
Eugene Levy, “Schitt’s Creek”
Jason Sudeikis, “Ted Lasso”
Ramy Youssef, “Ramy”
Outstanding Female Actor in a Comedy Series
Christina Applegate, “Dead to Me”
Linda Cardellini, “Dead to Me”
Kaley Cuoco, “The Flight Attendant”
Annie Murphy, “Schitt’s Creek”
Catherine O’Hara, “Schitt’s Creek
Oustanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
“Better Call Saul”
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama SeriesJason Bateman, “Ozark”
Sterling K. Brown, “This Is Us”
Josh O’Connor, “The Crown”
Bob Odenkirk, “Better Call Saul”
Rege-Jean Page, “Bridgerton”
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series
Gillian Anderson, “The Crown”
Olivia Colman, “The Crown”
Emma Corrin, “The Crown”
Julia Garner, “Ozark”
Laura Linney, “Ozark”
Outstanding Male Actor in a Television Movie/Limited Series
Bill Camp, “The Queen’s Gambit”
Daveed Diggs, “Hamilton”
Hugh Grant, “The Undoing”
Ethan Hawke, “The Good Lord Bird”
Mark Ruffalo, “I Know This Much Is True”
Outstanding Female Actor in a Television Movie/Limited Series
Cate Blanchett, “Mrs. America”
Michaela Coel, “I May Destroy You”
Nicole Kidman, “The Undoing”
Anya Taylor-Joy, “The Queen’s Gambit”
Kerry Washington, “Little Fires Everywhere”
Outstanding Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture
“Da 5 Bloods”
“News of the World”
“The Trial of the Chicago 7”
“Wonder Woman 1987”
Outstanding Stunt Ensemble in a Comedy or Drama Series